• Call Us Now 02 9052 5771

Can Mould Make Your Family Sick? How To Get Rid Of Mould In House?

>
Can Mould Make Your Family Sick? How To Get Rid Of Mould In House?
  • John
  • Oct 19 2021
Moulds or black spores are organisms that grow outdoors and indoors, and they love to grow in moist/humid and dark places. It doesn’t matter how often you spruce up your home. These nasty stains of mould can grow on the damp walls, carpets and window frames if not appropriately treated.

One of the worst things about mould is that it can damage your home and lead to serious health issues, such as respiratory disorders, coughing and sore throat. That’s why it is good to inspect all the damp and dark spots in your home, including the basement, shower area, under the sink, windows, etc.

If you are moving out of a rented property and witness mouldy stains on your bathroom and kitchen walls, hire professionals for a detailed end of lease cleaning in Newcastle. They are best known for transforming dirty and grimy homes into beautiful spaces before the final inspection.

They can also help you know the easy and effective ways to treat mould and mildew at home.

What are the Common Signs of Mould Spores?

Mould tends to expand quickly in a damp and dark environment. It can be white, black and spotted, and may appear velvety and powdery. If you notice black spores and are not sure if it is an old stain or dirt accumulation, here is how to tell it could be a sign of mould:

  • The musty and earthy smell
  • If there is a source of moisture or darkness
  • You witness cracking, warping and peeling of a surface if the mould is growing on it.
  • When a drop of bleach lightens the colour of mould in 2 minutes.

Can Mould Make Your Family Sick?

Having mould in your house won’t directly make you sick. But, it can trigger various health issues. Touching the mould with a bare hand or inhaling can lead to allergy-type symptoms, including:

  • Eye irritation
  • Coughing
  • Runny nose
  • Skin rash
  • Lung irritation
  • Sore throat
  • Headache

It may invite serious infections if you have the following conditions:

  • Allergies
  • Bad Immune System
  • Asthma

If someone in your family is suffering from asthma or an allergic reaction, keep them away from the mouldy areas. It is good to remove the black spores using the right products.

Tips to Get rid of Mould in Home

Instead of using harsh chemicals or toxic products, you can use eco-friendly products that can help you remove mould and mildew from different surfaces with ease.

1. Use Hydrogen Peroxide

There is no denying that hydrogen peroxide is one of the best natural cleaning products that can help you get rid of tough stains and grime easily. It is an antifungal, antibacterial and antiviral solution used to treat mould and mildew from surfaces.

You can apply it on surfaces like kitchen counters, bathroom tubs, hard floorings, and wall surfaces. All you need to do is to pour a 3 per cent concentration of hydrogen peroxide into a spray bottle.

Make sure you test it on an inconspicuous area of the surface to see how it reacts. If everything is fine, spray the solution on the mouldy area and leave it for 10 minutes. Now, scrub the area using a brush and remove mould stains.

If that area is lingering with unpleasant smell due to mould, you can try natural air fresheners for your home using essential oils, lemon peel, etc.

2. Apply Baking Soda Solution

Baking soda is not only a natural deodoriser but also work wonders in removing black moulds and mildew. It is safe for the environment as well as your kids and pets.

The best part is that baking soda tends to absorb moisture that attracts mould. You can add one tablespoon of baking soda to a spray bottle and one part of warm water. Spray the solution on the surface and scrub brush to get rid of black spores.

Rinse the surface with plain water to eliminate any residue. Repeat the process and let the surface dry without using any microfiber cloth. This will prevent the mould from returning.

You can also hire professional end of lease cleaners in Newcastle if you want to spruce up the entire property before the rental inspection. They will help you get the bond back without any dispute.

3. Spray White Vinegar Solution

You can also use a white vinegar solution that can help you get rid of mould and mildew from surfaces in no time. It has the power to kill more than 80 per cent of mould species.

Pour one part of white vinegar and two-part of warm water in an empty spray bottle. Mix it well and spray it on the affected surface. Leave it for an hour and wipe the surface using a clean cloth. Let it dry completely.

Keep the windows and doors open while treating mould for proper ventilation.

Conclusion

The mouldy surfaces in your home can lead to various health hazards, especially if someone in your family has asthma. Well, you can try these mould removal hacks using safe and sound products and achieve a healthy and hygienic living environment.

If you are preparing your home for the rental inspection, consider hiring a reliable company for the best end of lease cleaning in Newcastle and get the full bond money back.